A Happy Accident

One of the best things we did as Innkeepers was get our beer and wine license, although it happened by a happy accident. And by accident, I mean we were unknowingly breaking the law.

One random day, two people showed up on our doorstep with guns and badges. However they weren’t here to arrest us or strip for us; they were here because they understood we were serving wine. I told them that I serve wine to anyone including friends and family of my guests and that it was not a part of their room cost.  Obviously that was not the right answer and soon thereafter I found myself with a beer and wine license.  In hindsight, they did me a favor because a world of wholesale wine has been dropped in my lap and those of you who know me realize that makes me very happy.

About 3 months after we had our beer and wine license, Joe and I were in St. Augustine for the day and Blair, my innkeeper, was minding the Inn.  The Alcohol inspector showed up and asked where we were storing our beer and wine.  Blair took them to the cabinet where we had it all stashed.  Unfortunately we also had various bottles of liquor in the cabinet.  We don’t drink much liquor but sometimes guest will buy it for themselves and then just leave it when they head home. I don’t want to waste what they spent money on!  Again, those of you who know me know I would never throw out a bottle of liquor.  Hence all the random bottles that the inspector saw.  She told Blair that I could be fined $1,000 a bottle.  Blair immediately went into the laundry room, grabbed a laundry basket and started putting all the liquor bottles in the basket and then in front of the inspector, put it all in the back of her car.  She called me and asked me what I wanted her to do with all the liquor.  I told her to take it home with her since I really didn’t want it anyhow.  Blair happened to be heading to a Super Bowl party that weekend so it was a win-win.  I didn’t get fined and Blair was the most popular girl at the party….

I feel so relieve that we have inspectors looking out for all of us.  We are all so much safer….


Guests I have know and loved-ish

A young couple were spending their honeymoon at the Inn. One night the young groom woke up in the middle of the night. They had fallen asleep with the fireplace on and he thought maybe the glow from the fireplace woke him up. He got out of bed to turn the fireplace off and as he looked back to make sure he had not disturbed his bride he was speechless with the beauty of the room with the fireplace and how it cast a shadow over his sleeping wife. Making sure she was covered, he grabbed his video camera and started scanning the room to add to his continuing to grow wedding videos. The next morning as he was walking around taking more pictures, he stopped me to show me the beauty of their room the night before. As he was showing me his video, I, as calmly and as straight faced as I could manage, suggested that he check the room for mirrors before he starts filming, or at least put on a pair of PJ’s. The lesson to this story – never use a video camera naked….